Dream Job


I read a magazine cover with excitement recently.  I can’t remember the exact title, but the gist was ‘Make a Massive Amount of Money Doing what you Love’.  Whoop, whoop, whoop!  I could hardly write my list fast enough – fortune makers, each and every one!

Things I love to do:

  • Sleep
  • Go to the beauticians for treatments
  • Reading
  • Watching TV
  • Having a bath
  • Running
  • Perusing the aisles in Boots
  • Eating chocolate
  • Going out with the girls
  • Shopping

 

And yes, of course, spending time with Husband and Daughter.  But I was under the impression that this was all about a new job, and Husband has his own and Daughter is too young to work.  So they are excluded.  I will let them share in my new wealth though.

I excitedly flicked through the pages looking for the application form, daydreaming about how I could properly describe my skills in the activities on the list to do myself justice, and fight off the no doubt massive competition.  What would the job actually be?  I was most excited about the prospect of being some kind of beauty salon tester.  And actually, that could combine a few; selecting products in Boots, taking them to the salon for a professional to use on me, a bit of reading in between treatments, and then the piece de resistance – if the treatment was really relaxing, I’d fall asleep.  That really would be making money from what I love.

Imagine my disappointment when there was no job.  Instead, there was an article about starting your own business doing something that you’re already skilled or interested in, and investing a load of your own money (that you’ve conveniently acquired from ginormous redundancy pay out or from savvy saving from your highly paid job over the years).  More power to these creative entrepreneurs, all of them women doing what they love and making a success of it.  But for me, who has no skills, money or time, it was a blow.  Nor do I have any courage to do something like that –  my default mode is worst case scenario, I should have added ‘catastrophising’ to my list of things I love to do, so no jacking it all in to make bobbles at the kitchen table, whilst I imagine every footstep to be the bailiffs.  So.  Back to the day job then.

You can find any number of quotes about working.  Do what you love and it’s not work.  Life’s too short to do something you don’t love.  But I rather think that most people bumble along doing something that’s alright, manageable, tolerable, pleasant, better than a smack in the face etc.  I do know a couple of brave pioneers who set up their own businesses and, as far as I can see, are genuinely doing what they love, but I know far more people who enjoy what they do most of the time, but aren’t making money from their passion.  But I suppose we make the world go round, so back to it.

It did make me think what I would actually do if I was setting up a business.  L and I have talked many a time about a coffee shop and a wedding dress shop. Not both together obviously, too high a risk of stains!  I do make a nice cake, but the reality is I’d be the size of a house if I worked in that kind of environment.  And I’m not sure I’ve got the manual dexterity to operate a coffee machine.  I’m always in awe of the multi-tasking that goes on to make my flat white (skinny, please).  Is there a market for cups of instant?  A wedding dress shop shouldn’t do any harm to the figure though.  And surely everyone who comes in is happy?  I’d definitely like to do that.  And less washing up than a coffee shop.  Another thing I’d like to do is party planning.  It really appeals to my Little Miss Bossy side.  When we had a party for my Dad last year, I elbowed Mother and Sister out of the way, sharpened my pencil and dusted down my clipboard.  There was a strict ratio of blue to white crystals on each table, but my minions struggled with it.  Sister was mean with them, Daughter kept stealing them.  You simply can’t get the staff.

Anyway, with lunchtime in the real world job nearly over, I’d better get back to it.  But if you see any jobs for someone that involves my skills, so let me know.  I’m particularly keen on the TV watching aspect, as I’ve got a bit of a backlog on the Sky box.  Oh, and I can’t start in the chocolate testing job until after Lent, I’ve pledged to give chocolate up…J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have to contact you...

The Holiday Blog

A Platonic Valentine to My Friends