When...

When  I've lost some weight, I'll buy some new clothes.

When Daughter is a bit older, she'll stop sneaking in our bed at night.

...and will eat the same food as us

...and will stop following me to the toilet.

When I've organised those drawers, I won't let them get messy again.

When I've paid off my credit card, I'll never use it again.

When...

More lists.  One of my favourite time wastes is the 'when I win the lottery' game.  Best played in particularly boring meetings when you're very certain you won't be called on to contribute.  At your own peril, of course.  When I win the lottery (and I don't mean one of those measly £2.80 wins you can get on the Euromillions - how do they even work that out?!) won't life be grand.  I'll never cook another meal again.  Ironing - I laugh at creases as someone else magics them away.  I'll do each end of the school day, apart from when I'm off having a spa day, of course.  I'll be the volunteering mummy at school.  I'll get a gym membership and go every day.  I'll single handedly boost the economy with my shopping expeditions.  Imagine.  What did the advert used to say...it could be you!  Except in all the years the lottery has been around I've never won more than a tenner.  So maybe it's time for plan B just in case.  Because you can't live your life waiting for when.  So...

I'll buy some clothes next time I see something I fancy.

I'll appreciate Daughter wanting to be close to me while she does.  One day I'll be a horrendous embarrassment to her and she won't acknowledge me in public.

I'll be glad that she has something to eat regardless of what it is.

I'll be glad of the company while I'm on the toilet.  No I won't, I can't pretend.  One day, I'll manage to lock the door before she sneaks in.

So what if the drawers get messy?  I'll tidy them again.

I really will try to avoid using my credit card.  But no promises.

Sometimes you plan and plan and life kicks you in the teeth and all your plans disappear in a puff of smoke.  And if the kick was a big enough one, you realise that some stuff just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life, like tidy drawers.  It doesn't hurt to plan.  I'm in education - I know that I've spouted the old 'fail to plan, plan to fail!' patter to students, and I believe that in education.  And you know that I enjoy a list.  But sometimes, as alien as it might feel, dip your toe in the flow and see if you can go with it.  Or, keep waiting for when and risk missing out on some fun along the way.  I'm going to try, andI'm not even going to put it on my list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have to contact you...

Just Another Can on the Shelf

Sunny Day